Maybe you’ve tried all of those over-the-counter treatments (and everything else you can think of), but your acne just won’t go away. If that’s the case, you may be wondering if it is time to give up on the home treatments and see a dermatologist for help.
Here are some signs that you should stop trying to treat acne yourself and make an appointment instead:
- Over-the-counter products aren’t helping and your acne is getting worse. If you are faithfully using cleansers and creams and they don’t seem to be doing any good, your dermatologist can prescribe something stronger and more effective. There are also several treatments available that can help beyond just medication, such as microdermabrasion, laser treatments, or photodynamic therapy.
- Your acne is affecting your self-esteem and your social life. You don’t have to suffer alone and at home because you are ashamed of your skin. Your dermatologist has several tools available to treat acne so that you don’t have to be self-conscious anymore.
- Your acne is painful, severe, and often inflamed. You may have cystic acne (large, red pimples) or nodules, and over-the-counter medicines won’t help this kind of serious acne. These types of acne can also cause scars if they aren’t treated promptly.
- You have a bad reaction to over-the-counter medication. Some people have sensitive skin that does not react well to acne creams and treatments, and they can end up with a rash or skin irritations. A dermatologist will be able to prescribe a treatment that works, even if you have sensitive skin.
- If you no longer have acne but still have acne scars from your teenage years, a dermatologist can help to remove those, as well.
It is not always easy to know when you should go to the doctor instead of trying to treat yourself. If your acne doesn’t seem to be going away no matter what you do, if it is painful, or if you are embarrassed to be around people because of it, a dermatologist can help. You don’t have to treat acne alone – Advanced Dermatology Associates, P.A., can help! We are located in West Orange, New Jersey, and you can call (973) 243-2300 for an appointment.